Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Celebrity ads, pondering Paul Rudd and more...


When Stars Hock Stuff


I love celebrities. I love ads. When they come together, it's like hot coals in a fire. Ooh, baby. (OMG, speaking of which: how good was Stacey Q's "Two Of Hearts"??? I LOVED that song). Here's my top five celeb ads from recent times...

1. Alec Baldwin for Hulu
Let's put it in the handbook so there's no confusion in the future: if you are a celebrity, *this* is how you do an ad.



2. Kylie Minogue for TOUS

As if I'm going to have a list of things I like without Kylie on it. Don't you know me at all? This ad for the luxury Spanish brand is sooo fun and cute that it makes me want to rush out and buy the things they sell... whatever the hell they might be.



3. Brad Pitt for Edwin
For sheer "this part is too fast, now this part is too slow... umm, what the hell is going on?" value, check out this ad for a Japanese jeans brand. I mainly like how Brad is all serious "act-or" these days but still finds the time to hock Rolex, coffee and jeans as long as it's in a country that's not his own. I'm sure he donates all the money to starving orphans and stuff but still...



4. Britney Spears for GG Tea

I am so sorry but Brad Pitt has forced me to navigate away from current ads and into the challenging and distracting world of Japanese commercials. It's an absolute goldmine out there and this is my new favourite. Remember back when Britney could be bought? Oh, right, that's *still*.



5. Bruce Willis for Seagrams
OK, fine, I've been tricked into looking at really, really old commercials now that I forgot about. This one is a doozy. It's so bad that it's actually awesome and I have to admit that I wish all ads were this fun. Since Bruno isn't doing much of anything right now, perhaps he should dedicate himself to ads like these full-time? Who wouldn't want to once again see him literally skip down a road in a white suit with a babe or two on each arm? Someone who is dead inside, I tell you.




--
Ponderland*

* not by Russell Brand (who, incidentally, is about as funny as a hearty dose of swine flu)

In the five minutes I wasn't working today and was on the bus listening to an extended remix of Wang Chung's "Dance Hall Days", this is what I pondered:

# Paul Rudd's family's real last name is "Rudnitzky". From there, if I were to be honest, I made the mental leap to question if Australian PM Kevin Rudd could have a secret Rudnitzky past. Meanwhile, Jennifer Aniston's family's name is Anastassakis but her dad changed his name. Anyway, Paul and Jennifer not only starred in Friends but also the woeful The Object Of My Affection together. Do they still hang out? Did they ever secretly date? Either way, I think my point is why don't they go back to their family name? These days, the peeps cool with weird-sounding names, y'all.
# Since I'd thought of Jennifer, I remembered that when she was married to Brad Pitt she changed her name legally to Jennifer Pitt. Now that's love.
# From there it was a natural progression to let my mind drift to thoughts of George Clooney (as you do). If Georgie Boy is either of the rumours about him - gay or has 11 different secret children to different mothers holed up at his ranch in Spain - why wouldn't he just say so?

Then the bus came to my stop. I got off and I got rained on. The end.

--
From the vault

From today: it's The Killers and the video for the new single "The World We Live In"...



From yesteryear:
I have to take you back to Stacey Q's 1986 *AWESOME* ditty "Two Of Hearts"... squeeeeee! So good. AND, believe it or not (I don't), wikipedia tells me that she has a new album called "Color Me Cinnamon" coming out this year. Ahahahahaha!



Brilliant. I totes owned that on cassette, dude.

--
Carolyn Stewart
The best thing that happened to me today (until I remembered Stacey Q existed) was that I had a glass of apple & mango juice o'clock, May 19, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment