Monday, June 15, 2009

REVIEW The Proposal


Movie Review

What is it? A romantic comedy called The Proposal starring real-life pals Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock.

Shouldn't you list ladies before gentlemen? Mmm, sure, unless the guy is as hot as Ryan and then all bets are off.

What happens? They work at a publishing company in New York and hate each other. They pretend to be engaged so book editor Margaret (Sandy) doesn't get deported to her native Canada. As part of the ruse, they go hang out with Andrew's (Ryan) quirky family in a seaside town in Alaska and How-To-Lose-A Guy-In-10-Days-style they start to hate each other less.

Did you know? In real life the opposite is true: Ryan is from Canada and Sandy is from the US.

Is it funny? Yeah, but my mum just texted me as I was writing this to say, of her new hair cut, "I think my hair looks like a bad hat", which made me laugh more than anything in the movie.

The best bit?
Well, my movie-going mate KEF of Diet Another Day blog fame and I were subjected to 85 years worth of kiddie trailers before the movie began... only to find that the movie that began was Land of the Lost. The other disgruntled movie-goers naturally started talking about how this was not the movie we'd paid to see. Then an elderly man's voice pipped from the back of the cinema, "Would you all be quiet! The movie's started!" And then the rest of the audience turned to him and in unison said, 'It's the wrong movie!" Oh, how we laughed. We also had snacks. Oh, you mean the best bit in the movie? Well, there's this super-cute part where the family's white fluffy dog escapes and it's up to dog-phobic Margaret to get it back... from a vicious bird.

Best line?
"You're like the Kennedy of Alaska!" (this may not be the exact line but that's my memory of it)

Should I see it? The leads are cute, inoffensive and quite darling together. The rest is predictable, cosy and nice. But sometimes that's all you really want. I mean, there are worse movies... like He's Just Not That Into You. I will admit that for you to enjoy the movie, it will certainly help if you're obsessed with Ryan Reynolds - which I obviosuly and unashamedly am. If you share this affliction might I suggest you hire/beg/borrow/steal every season of the almighty Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place? You won't regret it. What was I talking about again? Oh yeah, should you see this movie? Yeah, go on. It's really cute.

--

Carolyn Stewart

I just ate a fortune cookie o'clock, June 15, 2009



1 comment:

  1. the Proposal made me want to move to Alaska, the scenery was fabulous

    ReplyDelete