Thursday, September 3, 2009

FIRST PHOTO! The Smurfs movie


Return of The Smurfs

If, like me, you think The Smurfs are the single most awesome thing in all the universe then, friends, we are in for a treat/utter disappointment.

The first image from the upcoming animated The Smurfs surfaced on the interwebs yesterday and is believed to feature "Clumsy Smurf", the rumoured central character of the whole shebang.


Helloooooooooooo! Awwwww. He cute-tastic!

I'm all for this... EXCEPT turns out the flick is gonna be half 3D animation and half live action a la Alvin and The Chipmunks.

Oh. Dear. God. No.

Of course, it's not out until the end of 2010 so I have plenty of time to get used to humans (other than the evil Gargamel) or whatever being unnecessarily added in to an already complete cartoon universe. *shudder*

So, just when you think things couldn't get any worse, we learn that the director is Raja Gosnell, who previously destroyed my will to live with his offerings Beverly Hills Chihuahua and Scooby-Doo.

I mean what else could go wrong?

Funny you should ask. Word is that Clumsy Smurf is given to a human child named Sophie and is told that he is a doll from Belgium... but, being quick off the mark, she quickly discovers he's a living Smurf. (While I am about to make light of this, I would die if that actually happened. How freaking awesome would that be???! I want a living Smurf!)

So back to the horror... I'm sorry, a human child??? If I recall the cartoon series correctly - and I think I do - ain't never been no human child in Smurf Village!

And... Belgium???

Smurfin' clever clogs will recall that long before Hanna-Barbera released its cartoon in the United States in 1981, Belgian cartoonist Pierre Culliford (who was known to fans the world over as Peyo) introduced the lil' blue guys in a series of comic strips in the Belgian comics mag Le Journal de Spirou in 1958. Still, Belgium???

I think it's for the best that we all just try and focus on the truckloads of smurfing merchandise that will be available to coincide with the movie. That'll be just smurfy with me!

Meanwhile, big thanks to my co-Brainer SK for keeping The 'Brain alive and well during my absence.

PS: It's true. The Punky Brewster cartoon was the best.

--
Carolyn Stewart

RIP AM o'clock, September 3, 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment