Thursday, April 30, 2009

Bad Bad Things Twitter Has Done To Me

Or rather, stupid things I say that Twitter exposes… and then fun celebrities read and… oh, you’ll find out…
So I’m obsessed with the Twitter. To the point where I will just be on the couch watching TV and then feel the need to tweet my reaction to things on the screen. I have cut down on this on account of me finding out it’s a bit annoying when people you follow fill your screen with inane messages (I am talking about you Diddy), but I like to share.
So last night I watched My Name Is Earl. My family are obsessed with this show, and while I often watch it, and often laugh, the people around me are so fully into it that it’s like I’m missing something.
The My Name Is Earl cast
To this end I posted the following tweet:


scottkeenan I don't understand My Name Is Earl ... where is the funny?


All quite innocuous you might think, until the next morning when I find this tweet to me:

EthanSuplee @scottkeenan bummer



Noooooooooooooo!!!!
That would be Ethan Suplee, who plays Randy in MY NAME IS EARL!
So now I am mortified.
The thing is, I love Randy (he and JoyJamie Pressly is awesome – make the show) and – this is where I am really stupid – I actually follow Ethan on Twitter. Because I think he is cool and like to read what he’s thinking. I mean, just yesterday I was looking at his Twitpic post of him with his kiddies.
But he doesn’t follow me. So, while I didn’t even think twice about my tweet, I certainly didn’t think he would ever see it.
So then I'm wondering, how did he even find it? He must have done a search or something … I don’t know …
"Why are people so unkind?"
So what do I do? A grovelling tweet about how I actually think he is awesome and somehow I took myself out of context? Or a long blog about about what a fool I am? Write that I was tweeting with my Milo puppet? That I can't wait for him to get a spin-off that I have cleverly dubbed I Am Randy?
As it turns out I did all of the above. And then...
I looked at his page and saw this:

EthanSuplee Can you get arrested for cursing at a cop?



And realised I had replied:


scottkeenan @EthanSuplee Yes.


To which he said:

EthanSuplee @scottkeenan bummer



Ethan didn't read my awkward My Name Is Earl post at all. He was replying to me; replying to a tweet I'd sent him hours earlier and had forgotten all about.
What an idiot I am.
I have learned my lesson. You know, when I write stories I am really careful not to write anything that will prove awkward when I come face to face with the subject at a party. My blogging and tweeting should follow suit.
And I should also calmly look at situations before going into mad panic.

Scott Keenan
Oh the humanity! O’clock

No comments:

Post a Comment