Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Dylan Moran's fame


What Dylan Moran Deserves

I own the Black Books box set but I never think of Irish comedian Dylan Moran until I see him and then I am reminded of his greatness. The man in question told Kerry O'Brien "I'm very suspicious of everybody" in an interview that aired this very eve and everything else he said was also universally appealing. If you ignore his hatred of Australia, of course. And I thought, why isn't he more famous? Despite roles in the Simon Pegg flicks Shaun of the Dead and Run Fatboy Run, he remains someone that you have to know who he is to know who he is... so I thought of more folk and divided them up into helpful categories.

People who deserve to be more famous
* Dylan Moran - See above
* Hilary Duff - I never thought I'd say this because, when she first burst on the scene as Lizzie Maguire, I accused her of being a 35 year old hag playing a 15 year old... but over the years I've warmed to the Duffster and I think she's cool. She has fun pop songs and I like fun people.
* Will Arnett - I've offered up Will to represent the entire cast of the flawless - and criminally cancelled - show Arrested Development. I know that of late WA has popped up in films more regularly as well as on and off in 30 Rock but, still, he could stand to be Jim Carrey, you know?
* Cameron Daddo - He's hot and can act enough to get by so I don't get why there wasn't a Hugh-Jackman style mania about Cameron in the US at some point. Apart from that stupid model show that, ahem, ruined his marriage.
* Jennifer Love Hewitt - She knew how to get the fame, she just didn't know how to keep the fame. Where did it go wrong for JLH? Why isn't she A-list? I still like her so I'm in favour of someone setting her up with, say, a Robert Pattinson-type and giving her a high-profile job (if only to get the freaking woeful yet incomprehensibly popular Ghost Whisperer off the air).
* Amanda Bynes - Amanda Bynes has felt like she was on the verge of something ever since she semi-emerged from obscurity. I guess it's never going to happen now but she's still ace.
* Taylor Kitsch - The ridiculously dreamy and best thing - amongst a long list of good things - to come out of the brilliant series Friday Night Lights. I love Tim Riggins! However, I feel he will date my list the quickest cos when X-Men Origins: Wolverine comes out, he'll undoubtedly get the fame he deserves. Yeah, Gambit!

People who deserve to be less famous
* Bono - I used to think you were mildly-better-than-OK but now I just want you to take off your glasses, Paul David Hewson. Then wake up to yourself and stop being a pompous ass .
* Gisele Bundchen - You're not with Leo anymore, you're dead to me.
* Britney Spears - I'm all for Mickey-Mouse-Clubbers-done-good-then-bad-then-semi-OK-again fame but you need to be nicer and gain a sense of humour somehow.
* Lleyton Hewitt - You've had an inexplicably good run, Lley-Lley. Bye-bye now.
* Angelina Jolie - Did you deserve your status when you were wielding knives and stealing husbands? Sure. Now you're a UN ambassador and taking in orphans? Yawn. Bring back the vials of blood, ploise.
* Miranda Kerr - I didn't like your DJs predecessor Megan Gale at first but then I warmed to her cos she has a personality. You, however, do not suffer the same affliction. Shame.

People who I don't care about but I thought would be more famous
* Hayden Christensen - He's occasionally appealing but, more importantly, he was Darth Vadar Jr. Shouldn't that give you a lifetime pass in the big leagues? How is he stuffing this up?
* Mischa Barton - Everybody loved her and then, all of a sudden, everybody didn't. It was weird. It was truly overnight. Is it because she's actually a nasty cow?

People who have the right level of fame
* Jim Carrey - I love, love, love Jim Carrey and will never stop - even if he marries a former Playboy bunny and starts writing books about himself. Oh.
* Jennifer Garner - She's funny, seemingly a great person, married to an Affleck, has cute kids and was beyond perfect in Alias. Tick.
* Drew Barrymore - Former bad girl, successful production company, awesome interviewee, kinda kooky and BFFs with Cameron Diaz. All good.
* Jonas Brothers - I love a Hanson-style "mania" even if I don't totally understand what fans experiencing the mania are seeing. At all. Wouldn't the average kid at the fan's school be better looking than a Jonai? Anyway, I like one of their songs, I think. Their movie Camp Rock was absolutely appalling but they've made up for it because they seem to actually like their fans and sometimes they bring the funny (ie. dubbing their little brother Frankie, the "bonus Jonas"). Proceed....

Over and out for now. I hope when next I blog that JLH has miraculously skyrocketed away from those pesky ghosts, out of Jamie Kennedy's arms and back onto, well, at least the B-list.

Carolyn Stewart
Tiredness is killing me o'clock, April 1, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment