Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Twittergate:
Hugh Jackman busted faking it
Hugh's first twitpic: But who posted it?
There has been a lot of excitement in Twitterland about Hugh Jackman arriving on Twitter. But less than 24 hours later I am set to delete him, after he admitted at today’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine press conference in Sydney that he dictates his Tweets over the phone to minions in the US.
Firstly, how is this easier than sending them as a text?
And, secondly, are we to seriously believe that he phones in all of these tweets?
At least Britney’s Twitter page says: “We’ve got updates from her team, her website and yes, even Britney herself”. Because you know Spearsy is a Xanax-fuelled robot controlled by daddy now, and they don’t want her tweeting “SAVE ME!!!!!!” all day.
The tip-off to Hugh’s fakery came when Sydney born-and-bred “Hugh” referred to the Opera House as the “Opera Centre” in one of yesterday’s tweets.
When asked today about the confusion, Hugh flashed his pearly whites - instantly rendering a vast majority of the 600 assembled media incapable of independent thought - and explained the "mix-up".
“I communicated it over the phone and when that got translated by someone American in my office it came out all wrong,” he said. “I do know the Opera House is called the Opera House - I think I had my high school leaving assembly at the Opera House when I was 18 so I should know that one.”
Yes you should. You should also do you own tweets! Especially when your minions aren’t even dictating correctly.
"How can I tweet with these claws?"
The fact he doesn’t tweet personally also means that Hugh never actually sees the messages from his followers – which surely is a good half of the point.
Instead it seems lackeys pass over token tweets for his reply (at least this is what he would like us to believe). So far these seem to be answers to “how do you stay so fit?” and “I can’t wait to see your movie!” Yawn.
(The replies? "eat every three hours throughout the day. mate, no beers!" and "Thanks mate! You will not be disappointed..." Note ample use of the word "mate" for added "authenticity")
Hugh, there isn’t a single unlikeable thing about you, but this Twitter situation really is not good enough. If Diddy can send 5000 tweets a day between tantric sex sessions, all-white parties and reappropriating ’80s hits as his own work, surely you can too.
Learn how to text or give the whole thing up.
Scott Keenan
I write my own tweets o'clock

No comments:

Post a Comment